The Widows’ House
There is a building from 1683 opposite the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. George Church, at the corner of Matejko and Church Street, which was endowed by Silvius Frederick, the Duke of Wurttemberg.
It was a convent of widows of preachers and teachers, who were under the dukes’ protection. Eight widows provided with a firewood lived there free of charge. The one floor building with a high roof was at that time one of the highest buildings in this part of the city. In time, the gable roof was replaced with the mansard one.
|The Widows’ House with a mansard roof and The Bismarck’s Statue around 1910.||Before 1916 one residential floor was added to the existed mansard|
In 1945 building was burnt down.
Only the outer walls survived.
The building before 1955 with mansard’s walls that were later dismantled.
The building was rebuilt between 1960 and 1962. The outer shape of the building, the portal and windows’ frames were copiedto resemble the original ones. The interior was totally new and adjusted to the needs of the music school. Nowadays it is The Frederic Chopin First Grade Music School. There is a composer’s bust in front of the school.
- Mrozowicz W., Wiszewski M. Oleśnica od czasów najdawniejszych po współczesność. Atut Wrocław 2006
- Przyłęcki M. Najcenniejsze zabytki Oleśnicy. Zapiski oleśnickie nr 2. 1995